Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Confusing Nostalgia

In a contradictory way my stay in the states feels nostalgic.

Contradictory because this stay is in fact my first stay in the US and everything is different. Form small everyday life things, like trafficlights standing on the wrong way of the intersection; street names are put in the wrong position of the road. Till bigger more abstract life philosophical issues, going much but sometimes not too much further than the Hi-how-are-you?-culture.

On the other hand the imagery and aesthetics I know from the mainstream/massculture television shows and movies I grew up with, are actually real here. The first days I felt I could bump into Holmer (the Simpsons red.) And I have a lot of ah-so-that-wasn't-some-ones-immagination, it-is-in-fact-just-reality-moments.

So I feel both estranged as at home in this country of the grand possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment